Senior Mechanical Engineer - Medical Device - Complex Capital Equipment
3240 Bayshore Boulevard San Francisco, California
Our client is seeking a Senior Staff Mechanical Engineer to augment an already talented ME group and to be part of a larger R&D team. Projects involve a broad range of technologies including complex laser systems, optical delivery systems, ultrasound, and radio-frequency devices all developed organically by our scientists and engineers in our R&D labs. The successful candidate will demonstrate an extensive track record of technical leadership and innovation, functioning as a hands-on individual contributor.
- Guide/define the mechanical system architecture for elegant, cost effective and reliable products and product platform development.
- Contribute individually to the creation of elegant design solutions from concept through manufacturing.
- Design for cost and schedule. Provide routine technical review to facilitate effective team communications.
- Use analytical simulation tools to demonstrate mechanical assembly behavior and to provide evidences that support design brainstorming, and to identify and verify potential failure modes.
- MS or Ph.D. in Mechanical engineering with 7+ years related mechanical design experience for medical devices applying medical ultrasound, RF and laser energy.
- Proven 5+ years of experience in designs, develop, and analyze all aspects of opto-mechanical assemblies which may include mirrors, windows, lenses, prisms, mount components and/or support equipment. Experience in designing optical bench top assemblies including linear and angular adjustments.
- Understanding of GDT tolerance and designing around tolerance stack-ups for critical alignments. Experience with using opto-mechanical hardware.
- Knowledge of optics component mounting, interfaces, and adhesive bonding.
- Design strain-free mounted mirror assemblies
- Build, test, and refine prototypes and/or high precision test fixtures.
- Proven 10+ years of CAD design experience. Solidworks preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of leading manufacturing technologies including plastic injection molding, sheet metal manufacturing, high precision machining and applying commercially available components for motor assembly.
- Proven communication skills and ability to perform design concept tradeoff study. Demonstrated ability to draw reliable conclusions and make recommendations based on cross-functional inputs (e.g., Clinical, Manufacturing, Quality, and Regulatory).
- Ability to apply FEA simulation tools to solve complex design/engineering problems independently and to identify the root causes by correlating simulations with test data.
- Basic knowledge of electronics, optics, and embedded software a plus.
- Demonstrated strong hands-on skills for design, prototype builds and product qualification and test.
Base plus commission: Highly competitive, commensurate with education/experience.
Travel: <20% on average
Direct reports: High level individual contributor
Years of experience: 7 (PhD) 10 (MSME)
Degree: MS in Mechanical Engineering
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and may have been abbreviated or maximized for online or mobile viewing. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Arshad is a seasoned recruiter in the healthcare space with over 15 years of experience in promoting career growth for healthcare professionals. He has played a critical role in the launch of several startup companies. He is known for versatility and leadership; expert in overseeing high-level priorities and a broad range of responsibilities.